WebSphere deploy features?

Jeff Jensen
Hello,
I'm happily using Cargo to start Tomcat for acceptance tests during the build.  Next, my goal is to auto deploy to the test server running WebSphere.

Before setting up to try a WebSphere deploy with Cargo, I'm trying to understand its deployment features to WAS to see if it handles the situation.  There are items I have not found answered in the docs.

1. My customer's need is to deploy to a WAS cluster.  Currently, we manually deploy once and WAS handles sync to the nodes.  Can Cargo similarly deploy to a cluster?  It appears Cargo requires specifying all of these values (vs just the cell and no cluster option), so I don't think so:
profile
node
cell
server

2. Related to cluster deploys, does it support the WAS "ripple deploy"?  I think not as it's not mentioned with the "start" docs.

Re: WebSphere deploy features?

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Jeff

The capabilities of the Cargo WebSphere container are unfortunately ...
limited :(

On the other hand, all improvement requests are most welcome.

Have a great evening

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/

On 18/03/15 19:55, Jeff Jensen wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm happily using Cargo to start Tomcat for acceptance tests during
> the build.  Next, my goal is to auto deploy to the test server running
> WebSphere.
>
> Before setting up to try a WebSphere deploy with Cargo, I'm trying to
> understand its deployment features to WAS to see if it handles the
> situation.  There are items I have not found answered in the docs.
>
> 1. My customer's need is to deploy to a WAS cluster.  Currently, we
> manually deploy once and WAS handles sync to the nodes.  Can Cargo
> similarly deploy to a cluster?  It appears Cargo requires specifying
> all of these values (vs just the cell and no cluster option), so I
> don't think so:
> profile
> node
> cell
> server
>
> 2. Related to cluster deploys, does it support the WAS "ripple
> deploy"?  I think not as it's not mentioned with the "start" docs.

Re: WebSphere deploy features?

Jeff Jensen
Thanks for the reply Ali...

The capabilities of the Cargo WebSphere container are unfortunately ...
limited :(

I have a Cargo deploy to local dev WAS working, and now looking to do a remote deploy to a cluster.  Yes, the "limited" appears to require a deploy per server(?). Will begin this work soon.

On the other hand, all improvement requests are most welcome.

:-)  The request I'm starting with is a remote deploy to a cluster vs individual servers.  Is there anyone on the Cargo team that wants to and has the time to work on making a cluster deploy work?  I can easily test feature changes.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 3:33 PM, S. Ali Tokmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jeff

The capabilities of the Cargo WebSphere container are unfortunately ...
limited :(

On the other hand, all improvement requests are most welcome.

Have a great evening

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/

On 18/03/15 19:55, Jeff Jensen wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm happily using Cargo to start Tomcat for acceptance tests during
> the build.  Next, my goal is to auto deploy to the test server running
> WebSphere.
>
> Before setting up to try a WebSphere deploy with Cargo, I'm trying to
> understand its deployment features to WAS to see if it handles the
> situation.  There are items I have not found answered in the docs.
>
> 1. My customer's need is to deploy to a WAS cluster.  Currently, we
> manually deploy once and WAS handles sync to the nodes.  Can Cargo
> similarly deploy to a cluster?  It appears Cargo requires specifying
> all of these values (vs just the cell and no cluster option), so I
> don't think so:
> profile
> node
> cell
> server
>
> 2. Related to cluster deploys, does it support the WAS "ripple
> deploy"?  I think not as it's not mentioned with the "start" docs.

Re: WebSphere deploy features?

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Jeff

The Cargo WebSphere container is the work of different people - all in this list, so I'd expect they shout back if they see they can contribute :)

We are a very open community, you can see http://cargo.codehaus.org/Contributing for the process; we actually give you developer rights as soon as you have nice patches submitted so you can commit them yourself.

Thank you

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/