Tomcat : bind specific ip

Nicolas Peidro
Hi,
I am trying to use Cargo plugin on Openshift to manage my integration tests.
I am facing a permission denied issue on tomcat startup because Openshift does not allow to bind localhost interface.
With Tomcat7 maven plugin, I tackled this problem with the maven.tomcat.address parameter set to Openshift internal ip address.
Is there an equivalent way with cargo plugin to force tomcat to bind only a specific ip interface ?
I tried cargo.hostname without success. I would have expected to see hostname as value of address attribute of http connector in server.xml.
I am missing something for sure…
Any help would be much appreciated
Regards
Nicolas

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Nicolas

Changing the cargo.hostname will update the <Engine defaultHost> in the server.xml file.

What else did you expect it to change?

Please advise

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/

My IM, GSM, PGP and other contact details
are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com
On 12/08/14 16:29, Nicolas Peidro wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to use Cargo plugin on Openshift to manage my integration tests.
I am facing a permission denied issue on tomcat startup because Openshift does not allow to bind localhost interface.
With Tomcat7 maven plugin, I tackled this problem with the maven.tomcat.address parameter set to Openshift internal ip address.
Is there an equivalent way with cargo plugin to force tomcat to bind only a specific ip interface ?
I tried cargo.hostname without success. I would have expected to see hostname as value of address attribute of http connector in server.xml.
I am missing something for sure…
Any help would be much appreciated
Regards
Nicolas

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

Nicolas Peidro
Hi Ali,
I actually got confused between host and connector.
What I'd need is to set the address attribute of the connector. I can change the port with the parameter cargo.servlet.port. For instance, parameter cargo.servlet.address could define the address.
Nico

Nicolas

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Nico

Can oyu send an example server.xml file for us to better understand what you need?

I can then file an improvement request accordingly.

Thank you

On 13/08/14 08:56, Nicolas Peidro wrote:
Hi Ali,
I actually got confused between host and connector.
What I'd need is to set the address attribute of the connector. I can change the port with the parameter cargo.servlet.port. For instance, parameter cargo.servlet.address could define the address.
Nico

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

Nicolas Peidro
Hi Ali,
Please find attach a server.xml with a connector binding a specific interface (address=« 172.16.204.227 » in my example).
By default, the connector element does not contain address attribute. Tomcat will serve all coming requests, whatever the interface (<=> address = 0.0.0.0).
Hope this helps.
Nico

server.xml (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Nicolas

Yes, this does help. https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CARGO-1281 has been opened and fixed accordingly.

To try it out, either compile the code youself or wait 24 hours and follow the instructions on: http://cargo.codehaus.org/Maven2+Plugin+Installation#Maven2PluginInstallation-snapshots

On 14/08/14 08:52, Nicolas Peidro wrote:
Hi Ali,
Please find attach a server.xml with a connector binding a specific interface (address=« 172.16.204.227 » in my example).
By default, the connector element does not contain address attribute. Tomcat will serve all coming requests, whatever the interface (<=> address = 0.0.0.0).
Hope this helps.
Nico

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

Nicolas Peidro
Hi Ali,
Thanks. I tried the 1.4.10-snapshot without success.
I am probably wrong with the parameter name, I used cargo.servlet.address and did not see address attribute set in the server.xml file generated under target/cargo/configurations/tomcat7x/conf/.
I tried to grab the source code to figure out the parameter name but found only binaries (https://nexus.codehaus.org/index.html#view-repositories;snapshots~browsestorage~/org/codehaus/cargo/cargo-maven2-plugin/1.4.10-SNAPSHOT/).
I am very sorry to bother you with that.
Thanks again for your help
Regards
Nico

RE: Tomcat : bind specific ip

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Nicolas

Why add a new property when we can reuse an existing :)

You can actually simply set cargo.hostname to anything else than localhost and it should do the trick. That's also explained in the JIRA reference.

Let us know how that works

De :  "S. Ali Tokmen" <[hidden email]>
Répondre à :  <[hidden email]>
Date :  vendredi 15 août 2014 00:46
À :  <[hidden email]>

> [...]

>>  Please advise
>>

>> S. Ali Tokmen
>> http://ali.tokmen.com/
>>
>> My IM, GSM, PGP and other contact details
>> are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com
>>  On 12/08/14 16:29, Nicolas Peidro wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I am trying to use Cargo plugin on Openshift to manage my integration tests.
>>>
>>> I am facing a permission denied issue on tomcat startup because Openshift
>>> does not allow to bind localhost interface.
>>>
>>> With Tomcat7 maven plugin, I tackled this problem with the
>>> maven.tomcat.address parameter set to Openshift internal ip address.
>>>
>>> Is there an equivalent way with cargo plugin to force tomcat to bind only a
>>> specific ip interface ?
>>>
>>> I tried cargo.hostname without success. I would have expected to see
>>> hostname as value of address attribute of http connector in server.xml.

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

Nicolas Peidro
Hi Ali,
It works like a charm with the correct parameter !
Thank you very much for your help.
However, I have another issue on Openshift. A permission denied is raised
because of server port used for the shutdown command (port set to 8205 by
default) and I am not authorized to use port below 13000.
I haven’t seen a parameter allowing me to change this value. Am I right ?
Would it be possible to add a parameter to override the default value
(cargo.tomcat.shutdown.port or something equivalent…).
The section is located on top in the server.xml file, <Server port="8205"
shutdown="SHUTDOWN">.
Regards
Nico

Le 19/08/2014 17:19, « S. Ali Tokmen » <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>Hi Nicolas
>
>Why add a new property when we can reuse an existing :)
>
>You can actually simply set cargo.hostname to anything else than
>localhost and it should do the trick. That's also explained in the JIRA
>reference.
>
>Let us know how that works
>
>S. Ali Tokmen
>http://ali.tokmen.com/
>
>My IM, GSM, PGP and other contact details
>are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Nicolas

That port can be changed via the property cargo.rmi.port

Give a try :)

On 21/08/14 09:56, Nicolas Peidro wrote:

> Hi Ali,
> It works like a charm with the correct parameter !
> Thank you very much for your help.
> However, I have another issue on Openshift. A permission denied is raised
> because of server port used for the shutdown command (port set to 8205 by
> default) and I am not authorized to use port below 13000.
> I haven’t seen a parameter allowing me to change this value. Am I right ?
> Would it be possible to add a parameter to override the default value
> (cargo.tomcat.shutdown.port or something equivalent…).
> The section is located on top in the server.xml file, <Server port="8205"
> shutdown="SHUTDOWN">.
> Regards
> Nico
>

> Le 19/08/2014 17:19, « S. Ali Tokmen » <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Nicolas
>>
>> Why add a new property when we can reuse an existing :)
>>
>> You can actually simply set cargo.hostname to anything else than
>> localhost and it should do the trick. That's also explained in the JIRA
>> reference.
>>
>> Let us know how that works
>>
>> S. Ali Tokmen
>> http://ali.tokmen.com/
>>
>> My IM, GSM, PGP and other contact details
>> are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

Nicolas Peidro
Hi Ali,
Thank you very much for your precious help and the changes you added in
the plugin.
I finally succeeded in making working cargo plugin in openshift env. I
fixed the last problem by setting the shutdown port to -1 with the
cargo.rmi.port.
With another value, tomcat tried to bind the port on localhost and a
permission denied error was thrown.
Thanks again for your support!
All the best
Nico

Le 21/08/2014 20:29, « S. Ali Tokmen » <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>Hi Nicolas
>
>That port can be changed via the property cargo.rmi.port
>
>Give a try :)
>
>Thank you
>
>S. Ali Tokmen
>http://ali.tokmen.com/
>
>My IM, GSM, PGP and other contact details
>are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com
>
>On 21/08/14 09:56, Nicolas Peidro wrote:
>> Hi Ali,
>> It works like a charm with the correct parameter !
>> Thank you very much for your help.
>> However, I have another issue on Openshift. A permission denied is
>>raised
>> because of server port used for the shutdown command (port set to 8205
>>by
>> default) and I am not authorized to use port below 13000.
>> I haven’t seen a parameter allowing me to change this value. Am I right
>>?
>> Would it be possible to add a parameter to override the default value
>> (cargo.tomcat.shutdown.port or something equivalent…).
>> The section is located on top in the server.xml file, <Server
>>port="8205"
>> shutdown="SHUTDOWN">.
>> Regards
>> Nico
>>

>> Le 19/08/2014 17:19, « S. Ali Tokmen » <[hidden email]> a
>>écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Nicolas
>>>
>>> Why add a new property when we can reuse an existing :)
>>>
>>> You can actually simply set cargo.hostname to anything else than
>>> localhost and it should do the trick. That's also explained in the JIRA
>>> reference.
>>>
>>> Let us know how that works
>>>
>>> S. Ali Tokmen
>>> http://ali.tokmen.com/
>>>
>>> My IM, GSM, PGP and other contact details
>>> are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com

Re: Tomcat : bind specific ip

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Nico

This is great news - but also implies you'll have to stick with version
1.4.10-SNAPSHOT for some time (release will probably come in about a
month time).

On 24/08/14 12:15, Nicolas Peidro wrote:

> Hi Ali,
> Thank you very much for your precious help and the changes you added in
> the plugin.
> I finally succeeded in making working cargo plugin in openshift env. I
> fixed the last problem by setting the shutdown port to -1 with the
> cargo.rmi.port.
> With another value, tomcat tried to bind the port on localhost and a
> permission denied error was thrown.
> Thanks again for your support!
> All the best
> Nico
>

> Le 21/08/2014 20:29, « S. Ali Tokmen » <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Nicolas
>>
>> That port can be changed via the property cargo.rmi.port
>>
>> Give a try :)
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> S. Ali Tokmen
>> http://ali.tokmen.com/
>>
>> My IM, GSM, PGP and other contact details
>> are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com
>>
>> On 21/08/14 09:56, Nicolas Peidro wrote:
>>> Hi Ali,
>>> It works like a charm with the correct parameter !
>>> Thank you very much for your help.
>>> However, I have another issue on Openshift. A permission denied is
>>> raised
>>> because of server port used for the shutdown command (port set to 8205
>>> by
>>> default) and I am not authorized to use port below 13000.
>>> I haven’t seen a parameter allowing me to change this value. Am I right
>>> ?
>>> Would it be possible to add a parameter to override the default value
>>> (cargo.tomcat.shutdown.port or something equivalent…).
>>> The section is located on top in the server.xml file, <Server
>>> port="8205"
>>> shutdown="SHUTDOWN">.
>>> Regards
>>> Nico

Not a big deal to stay with this release for a while, that works smoothly
by the way
Cheers