Codehaus shutdown: where will cargo go?

123

Codehaus shutdown: where will cargo go?

Petr Široký
Hello,

since the shutdown of codehaus.org is approaching, I would like to ask about the migration plans for Cargo.

Looking at http://www.codehaus.org/, the code will be migrated to Github, under codehaus account. It says that " This is a readonly account". Does that mean that the cargo repo(s) will be moved under own account?

What about the following services?

- Mailing Lists
- CI (move the jobs to the suggested CloudBees jenkins?)
- JIRA
- Confluence
- Web pages

I am offering my help with the migration, please let me know in case there is something I can help with.

Thanks,
Petr

Re: Codehaus shutdown: where will cargo go?

S. Ali Tokmen
Hi Petr

Wow, I hadn't seen that! We indeed need to move ASAP...

What I understand from the move is that it will be a read only copy, not very useful. I guess we'll indeed have to move everything ourselves.

What is the best point to start? Any preferences for target platforms?

Please advise

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 26/03/15 10:11, Petr Široký wrote:
Hello,

since the shutdown of codehaus.org is approaching, I would like to ask about the migration plans for Cargo.

Looking at http://www.codehaus.org/, the code will be migrated to Github, under codehaus account. It says that " This is a readonly account". Does that mean that the cargo repo(s) will be moved under own account?

What about the following services?

- Mailing Lists
- CI (move the jobs to the suggested CloudBees jenkins?)
- JIRA
- Confluence
- Web pages

I am offering my help with the migration, please let me know in case there is something I can help with.

Thanks,
Petr

Re: Codehaus shutdown: where will cargo go?

Andreas Tschabuschnig
Concerning the 'read-only' repository I wouldn't be worried, as it is GitHub, and you would only need to create a fork of the repository, declaring the clone the new *master* repository. Future code submissions could be handled by providing pull-requests, so there wouldn't be a need to hand out write access to everyone, just those allowed to merge in pull-requests to this master repository (which might make contributions easier and more accessible in the long run ;) ).

As the current project is in different "trunks" it might be best, to merge those in a single git repository, as it would otherwise be complicated to create changesets that affect multiple repositories. It might be necessary to coordinate with codehaus, how they are planning to do the conversion, as it is usually better to "clean up" a SVN repository before converting it to a git repository (usually you remove artifacts or obsolete historic branches) to reduce total size of repository.

Concerning JIRA, Confluence and Bamboo, Atlassian offers free hosted solutions for open source projects. Have a look at this link https://www.atlassian.com/opensource/overview

Not sure if there are any "normal" (non-confluence) web pages, but they could either go to Confluence or GitHub wiki.

I can offer assistance (or find someone in my office) for Atlassian and Github related issues and queries if required.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:37 PM, S. Ali Tokmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I completely agree with moving the code to GitHub. I think it will be very easy for contributors to provide patches/enhancements via the Pull Requests there.

We can wait till the Codehaus migration team moves the sources to the read-only repo and then fork from there. But I would probably prefer more proactive approach. We should be able to easily migrate the SVN into Git ourselves and then just push that to github. Before doing anything we should definitely contact the codehaus team to get more details.

I noticed that https://github.com/cargo is already taken. Any ideas for better name? I think we should create org unit and the master repo there. This gives the possibility to add new repos in future in case needed.

I also agree that it would be better to move the code into single repo.

I can help with the SVN to Git migration and fixes around htat (we need to remove the SVN headers from sources, possibly other changes).

@Adreas, does the offering at https://www.atlassian.com/opensource/overview mean that Atlassian provides a hosted solution that the cargo team can just use? That would be definitely great.

For the web pages, GitHub offers https://pages.github.com/ so that might be useful.

Thanks,
Petr

On 27 March 2015 at 05:17, Andreas Tschabuschnig <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The cloud option would be a hosted solution. And as far as I understand it, Cargo would qualify for a free license. Considering that Codehaus was one of its poster children (listed as one of the open source projects they support), I'm sure they are aware of the situation, and might be able to help out with migration issues.

Concerning an org name on github ... if we want (and are allowed) to keep the reference to codehause it could be something like codehaus-cargo. Alternative suggestions: cargo-master, cargo-main, cargo-dev, ...

Also note that the currently used groupId within the pom file is 'org.codehaus.cargo'. With the loss of the domain name, this might need to change as well.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 2:47 AM, Petr Široký <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Andreas, Petr

Thanks a lot for your help offer - and yes it would be appreciated :)

I guess codehaus-cargo would be OK, or maybe as well container-cargo...

Does the migration to GIT also copy the history?

Cheers

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 27/03/15 18:28, Andreas Tschabuschnig wrote:
[...]

are we allowed to use the "codehaus" in the name? (Just double-checking as I could not find this info). I like the "container-cargo".

It should be possible to migrate the SVN history as well. Not sure how hard/easy would that be in this case, as the cargo svn repo has multiple "trunks". I will look into this and try to migrate the repo+history locally.

Thanks,
Petr

On 29 March 2015 at 21:54, S. Ali Tokmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

OK - so let's start then by registering :) How do I create, do I do a "New Repository" or "New Organization"?

THanks

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 30/03/15 10:31, Petr Široký wrote:
[...]

Never mind - I figured that one out :) Now I have https://github.com/codehaus-cargo

Let's now try to figure out the next steps.

Thanks

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 30/03/15 21:03, S. Ali Tokmen wrote:
[...]

I would go for "New Organization" with "container-cargo" (or "codehaus-cargo", whichever you prefer). Then create a new repository inside that organization. This repo will host the actual cargo code, it can called for example just "cargo" (can't think of better name now). Later we can add other repos like cargo-website where will be the website sources (if needed).

Petr

On 30 March 2015 at 21:03, S. Ali Tokmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ah, I was too late :)

Now we should migrate the SVN sources into the git. Then we can push that into the github remote. I will look into the migration later today and let you know my findings and possible complications.

At the same time we should decide where to migrate/move the other stuff - JIRA, Bamboo, mailing lists, etc. I don't really have much experience with that, but the Atlassian instance for open source projects mentioned by Andreas seems like a way to go.

Thanks,
Petr

On 30 March 2015 at 21:16, Petr Široký <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I do indeed like Atlassian's tools a lot - mostly JIRA and Bamboo.

Now, should I also add you as organization member on codehaus-cargo?

Thank you

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 30/03/15 21:22, Petr Široký wrote:
[...]

I'll need a push permission in case I will be pushing the migrated repo. I would not really the permission after that. I think that with the Github model, it will be better to have very restricted list of people that can actually push. Others can simply send pull request with the changes. Once those are reviewed, person with push permission will merge it.

Question for the repo structure:
 - what do we want to migrate? only the contents of http://svn.codehaus.org/cargo/trunks/ (after checkout, so there the actual data) or the whole svn repo at http://svn.codehaus.org/cargo/? Or maybe some other subset?

Thanks,
Petr

On 30 March 2015 at 21:44, S. Ali Tokmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If I understand correctly, git has a master branch which is "just like" the trunk right?

When we separated resources, core and extensions the idea was to be able of tagging them separately. Unfortunately, we with time realized this doesn't really work with the Maven2/Maven3 plugin; so we never tagged them separately.

Perhaps we could hence use this to merge everything into one.

Will the push also keep the history? That would be really, really good...

Thanks

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 30/03/15 21:59, Petr Široký wrote:
[...]

This article on serverfault explains our exact situation http://serverfault.com/questions/420828/migrate-multiple-svn-repositories-into-single-git-repository

By initially creating a git repository for each project, and afterwards merging them with git filter-branch. This way we keep the full history, have all projects within one repository and maven pom setup will still work (same module hierarchy).

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 2:02 PM, S. Ali Tokmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I agree with with Andreas. I don't see a better way to migrate those three repos into single one.

I am just not sure if this will work with the other branches (assuming we want to keep them) and also the tags.

Thanks,
Petr

On 30 March 2015 at 23:30, Andreas Tschabuschnig <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link, I guess I'll then first start by creating the 4 repos and performing the steps in serverfault.com.

I have right now no experience of git, so all this is pretty abstract to me.

Cheers

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 31/03/15 18:01, Petr Široký wrote:
[...]

I am also trying to do the migration, using basically the steps described in article. I have a git experience, so hopefully it will be slightly easier for me.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks
Petr

On 31 March 2015 at 23:06, S. Ali Tokmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I managed to successfully migrate the core, extensions, resources and pom SVN repos into single git repo and keeping all the history. See the temporary result here https://github.com/psiroky/cargo-migration-tmp

The content should be exactly the same as in the svn repo, with the exception of removing the @version $Id$ as that is now useless in git. Compared using "diff -qr <old> <new>".

I have some additional questions:
  - do we need to migrate also http://svn.codehaus.org/cargo/trunks/ ? The version in the pom is quite old, so I was not sure if its still used or not

  - the tags were not migrated, as its basically impossible to find the single commit in the history to tag against (since the changes are coming from 4 different SVN repos). However, it should be possible to play a bit with the history and reorder some of the commits to find a single place where to tag (basically after all the poms were updated to release version and before bumping them to next snapshot). This needs to be done before we push the changes into the "blessed" repo under codehaus-cargo. After that we _can't_ change the history. I am afraid we can't do this automatically, so it would be a bit time consuming. I think we could just move e.g. last 10 tags? Would that be enough? Or do we want to migrate all of them?

 - what about the 1.0.x branch. Should it be migrated too?

Thanks,
Petr

On 31 March 2015 at 23:25, Petr Široký <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Well, I personally believe we can actually take this as an opportunity to clean up things a bit - so not moving tags is not a huge issue. Moreover, all our releases have also source codes distributed with them - which means users of an IDE with proper Maven2/Maven3 support would see the source code easily.

To me, it is amazing that even the commiter names appear now. This is brilliant! To really mark the separation we could bump the version to 1.5 for example.

Question: is this now the "master" branch? Where to the tags go? Would we be tagging all together or still have separate tags for core, resources, ... ?

I'm sorry I'm probably annoying with all the questions, but I'd like to understand a bit too. Let me know if there is a guide I should rather read, of course.

Thank you

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/